Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Geneva - Saturday, Oct 27




I took the train to Geneva this am. While still in Zermatt I got to use my French to arrange a ride to train station. The train ride was incredible. The first leg descends through the alps on a cog railway. Zermatt is actually at almost 1,600m above sea level. That's the base of the three trams! So I have certainly been getting altitude training.

A couple of noteworthy places the train passed through were Sion - cool castle you could view from train and Montreaux - referred to as the Swiss Riviera, stunning architecture and because it is sandwiched between a mountain and Lake Geneva, a micro-climate that allows the growth of olives, grapes, palm trees, etc. I would like to return to check it out some day.

My hotel in Geneva is literally across the street from the train station. Once again Sandy totally came through. After checking in I explored the city on foot, taking in the fountain, flower clock, and the old city. I had the world's best pretzel (my description) from a street stand for lunch. I ventured into the shops on rue Rive. There was a fun toy store. Jillian: J'ai acheté un cadeau formidable pour Dylan pour Noel! Although a lot of workers speak English my French is finally passable enough that I have been getting by in French! I am so proud and motivated to continue my studies.

At the end of my long walk I took a much needed nap at the hotel before showering and heading out for dinner. I went to a pub near the hotel that I heard was really good and actually ran into someone I know! It was one of the guys from Toronto that had been on the ski trip and had added some days to his trip. So we joined each other for dinner. After a day on my own it after being surrounded by people for a week it was nice to have the company. Now I'm back at the hotel as I have to leave for the airport at 3:45 am. Luckily we have the time change tonight which buys me the extra hour. Good night everybody. I look forward to seeing you all soon! Signing off from Switzerland :(

No comments: