Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Zermatt - Arrival Oct 20/07



Just wanted to let everyone know that two planes and two trains later I have arrived safe and sound in Zermatt. The train ride from Geneva was breathtaking - spectacular lake and mountain vistas. The train ride up above high gorges was not for the faint of heart. We passed the remnants of an unbelievably large rock slide that buried an entire village in 1992.

Zermatt is a typical Alpen village - super clean and tidy and brimming with character. You can only get here from train although a tiny electric car and wagon did carry our luggage to the hotel for us leaving us free to walk unencumboured.

The hotel is nice - very similar to the hotels where we have stayed in Austria. I am sharing a room with Sunny Verault. Marc will know her as she is one of the top Level 4 women in Canada and is featured in some of the CSIA videos. She is from Chicoutimi so I can practice my French...especially good because the language in Zermatt is German. Of course I left my German phrase book at home because I was convinced they spoke French here! I also took out Euros to find they use Swiss Francs here! 0/2 so far.

I actually had a funny incident checking into my room. When I got to the room Sandy told me I was sharing with Sunny I knocked on the door only to have it answered by a middle-aged male Brit wearing nothing but a towel! We had a laugh over the fact that he was expecting his new roommate too. I asked Sandy what kind of services he was offering on this trip?!?

Just had a really good dinner. There would have been no leftovers for Marc at this one! Meals are included and I got to choose an appetizer, main, and desert. I'll have to ski hard to work it off tomorrow!

There is actually talk that the trams may be shut down tomorrow due to high winds. If the day does go it is going to be cold. I really hope we can ski as I'm dying to get out there.

The people on the trip are great. Have already met people from England, Victoria, Thunder Bay, and Montreal. Have also recruited a new Voyageur - a new Level 1 my age from Toronto who I sat next to on the flight from Zurich to Geneva and then sat with on the trains.

The one thing I haven't done is slept - not a wink since Thursday. I'm calling it a night now as I can't stay awake for another minute.

No comments: