Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Zermatt - Monday, Oct 22



Left hotel at 8 am this morning as I was to meet the instructor at the top of the glacier at 9:45. After just missing a series of trams, I didn't get there until after 10 am. Only I can run into commuting problems on a glacier in Switzerland! Luckily everyone else was late too.

We had a couple of additions to our class today. I'm still in a class with all men like usual. The two new additions both have their Level 3 teaching and are working on their skiing. Marc: you will know one - Paul from Mansfield. He was on course with you when you got your 3.

Our instructor Josh, head of ski school at Big White, was really good. We'll be reviewing video of the day at 6:30. He even diagnosed me while riding the T-bar together. He noticed that my boots aren't canted properly - that I'm actually stemming (snow plowing) when going up the t-bar instead of my skis running flat. I've already taken my boots into the shop to have the canting adjusted so we will see how it goes tomorrow. I've also left my skis in the shop. The firm conditions have been rough on them. I was surprised by how few (none?) of the Level 4's tune their own equipment. They've all been taking them in.

Weather is still cold (-23C at the top this am) but as long as the trams are running and I can ski I don't care. I am getting a wicked tan from all the sun on the glacier.

I do have to get the name of a massage therapist from Sandy to see if I can get in this week. The sooner the better!

No comments: