Saturday, August 15, 2009

Skiing Day 5 - Friday, Aug 14


[Photo above: clockwise from bottom left - Rory, Steve, Shelley, Casey, and Sandy playing euchre]
Trying to get wireless access in this hotel sucks. I guess I'll have to go back to the bar with my computer tomorrow to update my blog and add photos.It is incredibly stormy here tonight. The wind is howling so hard that anything not solidly secured is flying across the mountain. We are lucky that our room is on the opposite side of the direction of the wind as the other condos have windows shaking and breezes coming through them.It was the windiest day I've ever skiied. Because of the intense wind no chairlifts were running. Even the t-bars were running really slowly. One time I came over a ridge and the wind I hit was so strong it almost stopped me dead in my tracks.


We had a mid-morning break where I tried milo for the first time. It is a type of hot chocolate that is popular in the southern hemisphere including Australia. It was very good. At lunch six of us shared a delicious cheese fondue. By that point the lifts were all closed so we had no choice but to call it a day. Pam, Ginny, and I checked out the two small hillside shops and then walked back to the hotel.The afternoon and evening's entertainment once again centred around the one deck of cards I had thought to bring. I finally learned how to play euchre. I wish I had brought my dominos! Hopefully the weather improves for tomorrow. Good night.

No comments: