Saturday, August 15, 2009

POW POW!!! - Saturday, Aug 15




[Photos above: our overnight snowfall, making snow angels]
Wow! What a day! Woke up to at least a couple feet of fresh powder with a bucket load still coming down. The mountain looked completely different today - a veritable winter wonderland. I was really glad the last two days weren't too intense so I had some energy for the deep, deep snow.
Sandy started us off with some slower skiing, leading into turns with a wedge, the Jeep of the Alps. We then went on an extended adventure as we couldn't see where we were on the mountain due to the snow that was puking down. (Sorry, couldn't think of a more descriptive word than puking.) At one point Sandy went the wrong way and started down a gulley where we had noticed big rocks the day before. He realized his error in time to redirect the rest of us the right way. For him to get out he had to take off his skis and climb up a cliff. At the top part of it there was no rock, only snow, and Sandy was concerned it may give way. To help Greg got on his stomach and helped pull him up. Excitement!
As the morning progressed we all got more comfortable and competent with skiing the powder. As if to challenge us, it kept snowing hard through the day making each run fresh tracks and each run deeper than the last. I learned the hard way never to take your goggles off on a humid day like today. They fogged up so badly I felt like I was skiing underwater. I had one wipeout where I landed on my face. I spit out a mouthful of snow before clearing my snowfilled goggles. Luckily any falls felt like landing on a pile of pillows. By afternoon we did a run where the snow was mid-thigh. We had to pretty much straight run it. I felt like a human snowplow! What an unbelievable day!!!
We are now doing apres at the one bar at the base of the mountain so I best get back to my group. We still ski tomorrow morning before heading back. It is going to be incredible as they are calling for sun with all this wicked, wicked snow. What a fantastic way to end the trip!
P.S., Josh, eat your heart out!

No comments: