Friday, March 20, 2009

Winding Down - Thurs-Fri, March 12-13


[Photos above: exposed rocks at Snapper Rocks; me surfing]

My days in Coolangatta are numbered. I'm feeling the end drawing near and I'm none to happy about it. I have completely adapted to the time zone and my skin has decided that it is no longer allergic to Australia. I've even worked up a nice base tan although most of the time the weather is overcast with showers threatening constantly. The beach was actually closed on Thursday due to "extremely unstable beach conditions" so I was unable to surf. The rocks at Snapper Rocks are now completely exposed with no sand on top to walk over them. At least it cleared up in the afternoon and I was able to enjoy a little beach time. Could the end of the bad weather be in sight?

Regrettably no, the high winds and rains were back with a vengence on Friday. Mom, Dad, and I walked all the way to Kirra Surf in decent weather. It then started pouring as we made our way back. We took a short cut going up over an incredibly steep hill. At one point it looked like we wouldn't be able to make our way to the other side but luckily it was open to pedestrians.

Once back I surfed in the rain and ended my surfing days by paddling onto a wave and riding it all the way to the beach. Sweet. Tomorrow I'm off to Sydney for the weekend before making my way home. I wish I could be one of those people who are anxious to get home after a vacation but no matter how much I love my life back home I never want any vacation to end.

No comments: