Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Koalas are as soft as you'd think - Wed, March 4








[Photos above: Me petting kangaroo, koalas]

It’s official. I’m allergic to Australia. I don’t want to be. I love Australia. Unfortunately since getting here I’ve been developing a rash all over my extremities. Yesterday the pharmacist gave me an antihistamine which dramatically reduced the swelling but alas after another day in the sun it’s raging again. Plus I cannot seem to put enough sunscreen on my face! My surf sessions are making my forehead and nose bright red. I’m hoping that by the end of my stay I’m rash-free and my red face becomes bronzed. We’ll see.

Today I rented a board from Dave, my surf instructor, and went out on my own. I did well catching a few waves on my own. I went out at 9:00 which is an hour earlier than I did for yesterday’s lesson. It was a mistake. The tide was still coming in and the waves were not as strong. I’ll go out later tomorrow.

The reason I surfed earlier today was because I wanted to get an earlier start on getting to Carumbin Wildlife Sanctuary this afternoon. Mom accompanied me. It was pretty neat. I got to hold a koala and have my photo taken with her. She was as soft and cuddly as you would imagine. We got to see koalas being fed which is the most active I’ve ever seen the critters. I also walked up to some kangaroos and petted them and saw crocodiles close up. All very cool.

In the evening we walked down to the Coolangatta Hotel for dinner.

No comments: