Monday, March 9, 2009

Surfin’ Safari – Mon-Tues, March 9-10




[Photos above: Warning sign at popular surf beach which may explain why Aussies are so tough - natural selection takes care of the weak. Me at said beach.]




A couple of days chillin’. Began each day with a morning walk which was followed up by surfing. Monday was tough. Waves were really choppy and breaking apart. A cyclone from the north was really affecting things. On Tuesday I headed out at 8:00 am instead of 10:00 am to try to get better conditions. It was super deep as tide was in and high. I had to paddle onto waves rather than push off the ground. It made it tougher but more gratifying when I did catch waves and ride them in.

Otherwise I spent my time walking to the mall, booking flights to Sydney, taking in a free movie at Twin Towns club, reading my book on the Wurtele sisters, and sipping shanties at the Coolangatta Hotel. The Cooly Hotel is really more of a pub than hotel. In Australia hotels are pubs. Clubs are pubs. And pubs are pubs. Basically every public building with the (possible) exception of schools and churches are pubs.

The surf competition is still on. It’s winding up to the finals. I may check it out again this afternoon before my trip back to the Coolie. Ahhhh, life is tough….

No comments: