Friday, October 17, 2008

Zermatt - Day 6




[Photos above: the clouds below us in the valley, me and my British friends – Caroline, Liam, and Leslie]

Yay! My lovely roommate Leslie passed her Development Level Coach today! She is justifiably thrilled. The Brits leave tomorrow so there will be a big celebration tonight. We have already had a lot of new arrivals with more arriving tomorrow but it doesn’t feel like it will be the same without Meredith who left early this morning, and Liam, Caroline, and Leslie who are leaving tomorrow morning.

Today was spectacular on the glacier. We emerged from the clouds in the valley to ski in the bright sun. There was snow overnight so we were able to ski into Italy on a run that was able to open today. I finally took my skis to be waxed today. Conditions have been so fabulous that the wax and edges have been lasting much longer than usual, even with the rides up the T-bars.

My knee held up well on snow. The hike out was the hardest part of the day on my knee. I felt well rested and skied well. The day off yesterday to allow my knee to recuperate was a good call.

Tomorrow is another day off – no coaching. I could have skied but want to be fresh for the six days of coaching next week. I am not sure yet what I am going to spend the day doing. My knee will limit my choices to something not too physical.

Today’s tips:

With softer snow, keep the weight between both legs more equal and make sure skis are aligned tip to tip.
Start the new turn earlier than feels right. Too many of us hold on for too long.
Watch so body does not get ahead of feet in fast, short turns. Shoot feet out in front at end of turn to prevent this.
When skiing a ridge, treat it like moguls and bend knees as you go up it.

I best get off to join the night’s festivities. I’ll write again soon. Happy Birthday to Mom and Jillian! I’m thinking about you.

No comments: