Thursday, October 16, 2008

Zermatt - Day 5




I began my day with an 8:00 am visit to a local physiotherapist, Lucy. Luckily she spoke beautiful English. Her mother, who she shares the practice with, comes from England and married a Swiss man. I was relieved to find out my knee problems are simply a result of strained muscles around the knee causing it to track out of alignment. She massaged it and instructed me to apply some heat to it and take it easy. So my plan to take the day off skiing maintained intact.

I spent the next couple of hours shopping in downtown Zermatt. I picked up some new Uvex goggles (my first new pair in 10 years!) as well as a Swiss military pen and chocolate for colleagues, friends, and family. If you are reading this, there may be some chocolate coming your way!

I then headed back to the hotel to rest for a bit. I ended up writing a letter to a guest for our hotel proprietress as she wanted to get the English writing just right. I then had a blissful two hour nap.

When I woke I went back to the main street for lunch. It had started to rain but I still sat on a patio with an awning to stay out of the smoky indoors. I notice Europe isn’t as smoky as it used to be but people still do smoke indoors at restaurants and pubs. I had a typical Swiss lunch of bratwurst and rosti. Easily the best rosti I’ve ever had! My server is a former member of the Masedonia freestyle team and now teaches skiing in the winter. While we were talking several other World Cup athletes wandered by that knew him.

On my way back to the hotel I heard a loud rap on the window from the inside of a pub and looked up to see Josh Foster. I knew he was going to be here next week but didn’t expect to see him so soon. I joined him and his travel-mate Jennifer for drinks. Before we knew it we had a huge crowd including some other arrivals from the Ontario ski scene that I know. Soon Meredith and my British friends will be leaving and a whole new crowd will arrive.

Time to head back to the group. I just wanted to let you know that my knee is okay and that I will be back on snow tomorrow. Take care and talk to you soon.

No comments: