Sunday, October 12, 2008

Zermatt - Day 1




Something like 20 hours after I set out from Toronto I finally arrived in Zermatt. This year I was on a different flight than any of the other Toronto participants so I made my own way via two planes, two trains, and two taxis. All I could think about as I arrived in Zermatt was having a shower to wash the travel off me. As soon as I arrived at the hotel I ran into a bunch of people I knew. After that needed shower, I joined a group for dinner. I met three really great people from England. My roommate is also English. I didn’t get a chance to talk to her much as she was already in bed when I went back to the room after dinner. Considering I hadn’t slept in days I was wired after dinner and stayed up to midnight unpacking. Luckily my roommate is a good sleeper.

Today everyone met up at 8:30 am and walked to the lifts together. As it is the weekend, the gondola at the bottom was open so we did it and two trams rather than three trams. The gondola is so much nicer – less busy and you can sit. I started the week in the same group as last year – one racer kid who already has his 3/2 and an older gent who has his Level 3 Teaching and is going for his skiing. We had Sandy, the trip organizer, as our coach today.

The weather was fantastic. Warm and sunny. After my first few runs I had to drop a layer and just ski in a shell. If it keeps up I am going to have one heck of a ski tan!

Unfortunately I didn’t feel the best on the glacier today. We were advised to put on our ski boots after the second tram, rather than the top like I did last year. By the time I got to the top my feet were already killing me. I then got a stomach ache likely related to the elevation. I was also just overwhelmingly tired. Hopefully it will be better after a good night’s sleep. I already feel like a new person since coming down off the mountain…although my calves ACHE big-time and I’m kind of hobbling around my room.

On a positive note, I LOVE my new skis. They have WAY more performance in them than my last ones did. I could really feel the snap when I put things together right. Today was just about getting in balance and acclimatized. What I learned:

Ø Ski in contact with the front of the boot at all times. If you feel yourself lift off it, you are either making the move too quickly (popping) or getting too far back.
Ø For me personally I am working on not moving inside too quickly so that I have a move left to make at the end of the turn. When I did this right, it felt amazing – I could really feel the rebound from the skis at the end of the turn.
Ø Move progressively and continuously through the turn. When you have nowhere left to move start the next turn. Basic, I know. But important to remember at the beginning of the season. The way I was able to get it right is to shorten the width of my turn corridor.

More tomorrow…

No comments: