Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Canada Day (training) weekend



Photos above: Me getting mauled by a black bear at Santa's Village and Deborah annihilating me at mini-putt.
No races this weekend. Took the opportunity to do a few day trips and get some training in. Friday: Left work early afternoon and headed to Lake Kelso for a 30K bike ride and 30 minute swim. Made it up the evil 6th line hill. A very scenic ride that is brutal outbound and oh so short and sweet on return.
Saturday: Got in a 12K run on the Beltline before meeting Deborah and driving to Niagara. While Deborah wandered around NOTL I got in a short fun 20K bike ride on the paved trails. Some silly pedestrians but not as much bike traffic as expected. I wish my competition was as slow as these people on bikes.
Sunday: Did a hill training run in the morning. Flew up the hills in Mount Pleasant cemetary. Unbelievable. Could I be improving at hills? Probably just the cool, temperate weather. Later picked up Deborah and headed to Muskoka for Canada Day which is where the photos above were taken.
Monday: Time for one more serious training day. To Guelph Lake for a 40K bike ride. Love the countryside there for cycling. Good roads. Very little traffic. Other cyclists around. Some challenging hills but nothing too killer. Afterwards got in a 35 minute swim.
Next race: Peterborough on Sunday! I love that race. I tend to do well there. Usually I'm inspired by the Tour de France by that point but as it only starts Saturday I can't rely on that as motivation. My goal: 1:50 which is better than the last two years but not quite as good as my PB of 1:47:57. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Hotwheel said...

Hmm... you seem to be drawn to training locations west of the GTA... I see more races from this area in your calendar next year - Milton, Guelph 1 & 2, Belwood, Niagara, NOTL... Could an Express Pass be in your future?!

Laurissa said...

I'm surprised you haven't figured out that it is because I am hoping to run into you Hotwheel! Or be invited over for BBQ anyway...