Monday, July 23, 2007

Blue Mountain - July 21-22

Another race-free weekend. I could get used to this! I spent this weekend at my place at Blue Mountain with my friend Michelle and her sister-in-law Chantal. On Friday night Michelle and I disappointed Chan by heading back to the condo after only a couple of drinks at Windy O’Neils, choosing an early night in order to get some rest for our ride the next day. Saturday morning we took out our mountain bikes and covered the Georgian Trail from Blue Mountain to Meaford and back. It was fun to be back on my mountain bike. Though it is very old it is still functioning well and is oh, so much more comfortable than my road bike. The ride ended up being 63 km. I felt great throughout. Chan impressed me with her ride out as she hadn’t biked much this season. She did pay for it on the way back though as she dropped further and further behind. On the one 500 m section of what could be termed single track on the whole ride, Michelle elected to sacrifice herself rather than a couple of seniors on a corner so had some battle scars – skin loss on her arm and cool bruises on her hip/thigh – to prove her mountain bike riding cred the rest of the weekend.

The next day Chan opted out of the training run I had planned so Michelle and I dragged ourselves away from the mountain stage of the Tour de France for a 14K run. (OK, Michelle dragged me kicking and screaming away from the TV I was hugging.) We did the other part of the Georgian Trail heading towards Collingwood this time. The run went by so much faster having someone with me. Post-run Michelle dove right into the swimming pool only stopping to take off her running shoes. I took a little more time getting there only because I needed to gulp down another litre of water first! The rest of the day was spent relaxing and hobbling around the village feeling good about the weekend’s efforts.

No comments: