Friday, April 10, 2009

Whistler - Good Friday



[Photos above: me in an Inukshuk; Michelle doing her Easter bunny impression]

We had an uneventful journey to Whistler last night which is the way I like it. Air Canada even deemed fit to deliver all my luggage. Our shuttle was fast and easy and the bus driver gave us a little tour on the way up. Dave's condo is nice - comfortable, clean, a similar size to mine, and conveniently located in Marketplace.

Today dawned bright and clear. With the time difference Michelle and I up were up early and raring to go. We took the shuttle to the village and began our day on Whistler. I don't remember ever having a day so bright and clear here before. It was beautiful. For our first run of the day we went up the Peak chair as any other time I've been up it we have not been able to take advantage of the view. From it we skiied down to the bottom of the Big Red Express. We got into the shadows there which wasn't as nice as the sunny Saddle. Plus the conditions were very much Ontario hard pack. At least we were used to skiing it! We then made our way to Harmony Chair and skiied Harmony Ridge. While Michelle stayed on the trail I occasionally headed off into the ungroomed sections then linked up. Off-piste wasn't all that great in the morning as it was frozen over from a previous thaw and thus pretty rough. I still had fun playing in the smallish moguls. We eventually figured out how to get to Symphony Bowl, a new section in Whistler. It was really cool - wide open bowl at the top and some runs that lead into spaced out trees with really good snow near the bottom.

Surprisingly we weren't hungry for lunch until noon BC time. We had hoped to stay on Ontario time in order to beat the lunch crowd but were just having too much fun to stop before lunch. As we had lunch at the Roundhouse it was a perfect opportunity to take the new Peak 2 Peak gondola when we were done. We waited for one of the two cabins with a glass floor to get the full experience. The tall evergreen trees became specks as we rose above the valley floor. The gondola moved quickly and smoothly. It felt strange to be at the top of Blackcomb minutes after leaving the top of Whistler.

At Blackcomb we skiied down to the Glacier Express and then to the Horstman t-bar to get over to 7th Heaven. Unfortunately by that time the light had turned flat so we only did the Panaroma run before doing the incredibly long, incredibly breath-taking, ski-out to the village.

Once back we took the shuttle to our condo as I had to get out of my ski boots! They held up well today but at that point my feet had had enough. We are now going to hit the outdoor hot tub while we decide what to do tonight. I have a few friends I should call to see if we can hook up this weekend. Tomorrow I want to spend more time on Blackcomb and do the glacier. I can't wait!






No comments: