Thursday, January 1, 2009

Norquay - Thursday, January 1


After a late night, we had a bit of a lie in, waking up at 8:00 am. After four days of frenetically getting ready to catch shuttles to hills and enduring the long transfers back in the evening to get only minutes to get ready each night, I was ready to take it easy. I took my time getting ready and caught the 9:12 shuttle to Norquay with Pat. I remembered liking the oft-overlooked hill the last time I was in Banff and was looking forward to avoiding the crowds and having only a 15 minute commute.

Norquay did not disappoint. It was a picturesque drive and a beautiful hill. There were no rocks poking through on the moderate blues and blacks we did and a fair bit of fresh snow on the sides of the runs from yesterday evening's snowfall. My only problem was that one of my skis kept washing out any time I was on firmer snow. Upon inspection I realized I had rolled an edge, so I traded skis to move that edge to an inside edge to minimize its impact. Then when I returned to Banff I took my skis in to get the edges done.

Pat and I had a nice lunch at a pub on one of the side streets and then returned to the hotel to chill for a bit. The outdoor hot tubs have now been repaired and are likely my next stop.

No comments: