Saturday, December 27, 2008

Banff - Saturday, December 27


Today was a LONG day. Dad and I woke at 2:00 am for him to drive me to Winnipeg to catch my 7:00 am flight to Calgary. We made good time, arriving at the outskirts of Winnipeg at 5:00 am. I found out later that Dad was back home asleep by 8:30 am. Good job! I cat-napped a bit on the drive in, again on the plane, and a little on the shuttle to Banff. As I got to Banff at 8:30 am I took a 9:30 am shuttle rather than wait for the group to arrive at 12:30. It turned out to be a great decision. I arrived in Banff at 11:15 am, a full five hours before the group.

During my time this afternoon I unpacked, got organized, went for a walk around town, had lunch at a local pub, and spent some time in our hotel's lovely outdoor hot tubs. It was basically a day of apres-ski without the ski.

This evening once the group arrived we met up for appy's and dinner at Wild Bill's. It was good to get to know a few more members of the group. Everyone is nice. What would make the week perfect is to have at least one really good friend with me to know I have someone I can ski with and go to dinner with, and so on. My roommate Pat is nice. We walked down to dinner together and on the way back stopped at Safeway for snacks. Sunkist Mini Bites (100% fruit and veg's) totally rock! Taste like candy. I can't stop drinking water here. It is so much drier than Manitoba. My hair is totally staticky.
OK. I just re-read what I have written so far and the random thoughts I'm now generating tell me that it's time to get some rest. I'll be sure to post after my ski day to Lake Louise tomorrow!

No comments: